Encouraging democratic participation
- My Vote My Voice believes the key to developing lifelong voting habits among disabled people is actively involving their carers and family members to support them.
- The Electoral Commission should develop bespoke guidance for health and social care professionals working closely with disabled people aimed at raising awareness of voting rights, how to register, and onsite support entitlements at polling stations.
- In close collaboration, the Electoral Commission and Department for Education should develop and deliver a pilot awareness-raising campaign in select special schools to encourage young people to vote with their families’ active support.
- Working in co-production with people who have lived experience, the Electoral Commission and Department for Education should develop a post-16 module aimed at specialist education settings around democratic participation.
- With Parent-in-Partnership groups, develop Parent Democracy Champions who would lead on community engagement with families to break down biases and encourage active participation in democracy.